TRIAL KITCHEN

- where the belly rules the mind

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Spinach Aloo Paratha



My memories of good aloo parathas come from my TCS days, at a dhaba in Trivandrum.
Oh the melting butter.. comfortably suited on top of the hot parathas.
After nearly 3 years of cooking, I brought myself to try some aloo parathas. Just to give it a appealing color, I also added some spinach and here are the details of my trial.

What goes in
1 handful spinach - really thats all you need
1 cup wheat flour - Use a little less wheat flour than you would use for Chapathis.
2 small potatoes
Ginger garlic paste
2 green chillies
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Ghee
4-5 tbsp Oil for making the parathas
Spinach aloo paratha with melting butter

Skipping the aloo, just the spinach chappathi


How to
Wash the spinach and grind it to a paste
Add this to the wheat flour and make the dough like chappathi dough, by adding salt, ghee, water. Make sure to add less water, than you normaly would, because the spinach makes the dough wet.

Boil the potatoes allowing atleast 5 whistles.
Mash them well.

Heat oil in kadai. Add green chillies, potatoes and mix them together.Add salt. This paste should taste a little bit spicy.
Roll the wheat dough into chappathi shapes and place a ball of the potato mixture.
Wrap it tight anyway you want it, make a ball again and then roll it tight.
Now it is officially called a paratha, since it is stuffed. Dust with dry flour as and when needed.
Place the parathas on a hot tawa and apply some oil/ghee over it.
Flip over when you start seeing some dark spots.

Serve with salted butter on top. That is the best way to have it :) Enjoy.


After thoughts
This was my first time trying paratha and I made mistakes in every possible step. This is more of a self note to myself not to repeat these again.
1. Undercooked potatoes - Potatoes must be well cooked and mashable.
2. Prepared the dough first and then added spinach. This made the dough more wet than I wanted it to be. Had to add more flour to bring it to form.
3.Used more wheat four. Need to use less wheat flour than that is used for Chappathis.
4. Buy salted butter instead of plain butter :)

After-after Thought
My husband thinks I am crazy to put this is in my blog. But still, I am going to.While I was making the parathas, I kept creating the below lines in my mind

Butter,butter melt away
Make the parathas yummy
Hungry me wants to eat
Butter,butter melt away

If you haven't figured out by now, this rhymes with Rain rain go away.

No comments: